About Me

My photo
Hey everyone. Thanks so much for all of the well wishes and encouragement. I will be moving to Orlando on August 30, 2010. I can't wait! I'm going to miss everyone so I hope to get lots of visitors. I've created this blog as a way to keep in touch with family and friends (both new and old!) Be sure to follow me here to find out about all of my wonderful Disney College Program adventures!

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

It's about the MAGIC

Wow. I can't believe that I will be living in Orlando in less than 50 days. It all seems so surreal! Erika has her plane ticket and will be flying into Atlanta on August 28th. Then we'll drive to Orlando together on the 29th and check in to the Holiday Inn Sunspree. Dinner with Cinderella that night. I doubt we'll sleep much. We'll be far too excited about checking in bright and early the next morning. After talking, we've decided to try to get a 1 bedroom at Chatham or Patterson. If we can't get a 1 bedroom, we'll go for a 2 bedroom and hope we get decent roomies. It's just too much of a hassle to try to find people right now. As excited as I am about starting my program, I have something I need to vent about right now. If you don't want to read my complaints, I suggest you exit out of this screen now. Don't say you weren't warned.

I've been reading a lot of other CP blogs and checking Facebook and Twitter statuses. While the majority of them are positive, upbeat, and have an overall cheery outlook in regards to the program, not all are this way. I am astonished by the number of people who are currently on the program or have not even started the program yet who are bashing it. The pay isn't the greatest. The hours can suck too. You might hate your trainer and managers. You might hate your location. But you know this going into the program. You agreed to uncertainty when you accepted your position. You agreed to the role and the pay rate. YOU did not object and YOU certainly had the chance. Yes, it's Disney, but, like with any job, it's not all rainbows and sunshine. If you go into the program with the thought that it's some horrible way for a company to take advantage of lowly college students and work you to death then that's what it will be. Because that's what YOU want it to be. For those of us who truly want this with all their hearts, it's not about the pay or the hours or partying and getting wasted every night. It's about the experience. And that experience is what YOU make of it. It's about being a part of the MAGIC. It's about watching the expressions on the faces of kids and adults alike when they see Cinderella's castle for the first time. It's about being in a place full of wonder and amazement that some people only dream about. It's about larger than life turkey legs, giant huggable mice and chipmunks, and fireworks every night. It's about every boy and girl being treated as a prince or princess. It's about the MAGIC. So please, if you don't truly want this, don't go. Don't ruin the magic for someone else because you aren't ready to deal with the ups and downs of the real world.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it requires people to make the dream a reality. -- Walt Disney


No comments:

Post a Comment